A Solution-Focused Approach
What if instead of asking couples and family therapy clients to recount their hurts and frustrations, you asked them to play the Happy Family game? And if that went well, you then introduced them to the Miracle-Making Love Potion, or got them to answer the Awesome Celebration Question? In this workshop, you’ll discover how to add laughter and joy to your sessions. You’ll explore how to:
- Engage the creative and playful part of the brain to bring more spontaneity and imagination into therapy
- Use clinical tools based on the latest advances in solution-focused therapy and insights from the gaming industry
- Approach even serious problems, such as trauma, suicide attempts, and psychotic symptoms, with a more light-hearted approach
- Help your clients envision their future with more boldness and imagination
- Follow up with clients to ensure they bring the creative sense of freedom and fresh possibilities to their everyday lives
Ben Furman, MD, is a psychiatrist and director of the Helsinki Brief Therapy Institute. His books include Never Too Late to Have a Happy Childhood, Hosting Therapeutic Conversations, and Kids’ Skills in Action.