Getting Comfortable with Alternative and Fringe Sexual Issues
Working with the often edgy, erotic behavior people engage in today can challenge a therapist’s own attitudes, values, and deeply held beliefs. This workshop can serve as an introduction to sex therapy. Intensive and fun, it includes video, demonstrations, and small group discussions, and provides essential training and background to help therapists face their own preconceived notions and countertransference issues around eroticism and intimacy. You’ll explore:
- How to create a safe, comfortable, nonjudgmental environment for clients
- Alternative sexual practices that may come up in therapy, such as fetishes, BDSM, and cross-dressing
- How to process responses, triggers, and any vicarious trauma that may be activated by issues around open relationships, polyamory, and swinging
- How to expand your ability to communicate about sexual issues in the consulting room by exploring safe dialogues and interventions that work with couples and individuals
- Your own sex-related stereotypes, resistance, guilt, and shame, as a foundation to better help clients
Tammy Nelson, PhD, is a board-certified sexologist, an AASECT certified supervisor, a certified Imago therapist, a licensed professional counselor, and the author of Getting the Sex You Want and The New Monogamy.