Working with sexuality and the erotic behavior many people engage in today can challenge a therapist’s deeply held beliefs about sex and relationships. It can be difficult just to keep up with the impact of technology on sexual behavior, especially with the advent of sex robots, teledildonics, artificial intelligence, and virtual reality. Intensive and fun, this workshop includes videos, expert panels, and small-group discussion to help therapists face their own preconceived notions and countertransference around sex and intimacy. You’ll explore:
- Your own sex-related stereotypes, resistance, confusion, and shame in order to create a safe, nonjudgmental environment for clients
- Alternative sexual practices that may come up in therapy, like open relationships, dom/sub relationships, nonmonogamy, fetishes, and BDSM
- How clients are affected by new sex tech, including virtual reality and AI porn
- How to expand your ability to communicate about sexual issues in the consulting room, and help clients create new pathways for pleasure in their relationships
- Ways to process triggers and vicarious trauma that may be activated by unconventional sexual behavior
Tammy Nelson, PhD, is a board-certified sexologist, Imago therapist, TEDx speaker, and the author of several books. She’s the director of the Integrative Sex Therapy Institute.